Dec 14, 2010

Snowfall causes Metrodome stadium roof collapse in Minneapolis

A fun fact about Minnesota: It snows. A lot. 

I lived close to the Twin Cities for a while although I never got to see one of the Minnesota Vikings games. I bought some Vikings shot glasses though. And pennants, to give my room a more American college look.
Had I gone to see one of the games, it would have been to this place: the Metrodome stadium. This stadium is located in downtown Minneapolis, and even though it is 100% Minnesotan it has been unable to withstand the latest snowfall that the city had to bear.

I'm not an expert in stadiums' rooftops, but I don't really think that an inflatable Teflon-coated fibreglass roof is the best or the most lasting structure that you could choose, especially with the climate that they have for most of the year. But you know the Americans and how cheap they build..... love you guys :-)
Anyway, this is what the cameras inside the place recorded when the snowfall weighed down the roof, and although initially the snow caused the roof to collapse in on itself, then it tore and the snow flooded into the football pitch. It's quite a view. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...